Saturday, September 12, 2009

Rules to live by: Don't borrow stuff.

When I was a kid, my pops used to tell me that if I ever borrowed something from someone, I should always return it in the same or better shape than when I got it. I think this is why to this day I do not like to borrow stuff. That's all it really is tho, is stuff. But to some, those things are really important. Pops said if I borrowed a car to go to Mexico, and it broke down, it is my responsibility to repair the car even if it wasn't my fault.

That is crazy and ridiculous some might say. But, how could you ever make it right unless you did repair the car?

I grew up with a lot of things that were exceptionally nice. The burgundy Pinto (yup a Ford) which I always wanted to see how fast would go in first gear, was classy. My XJ-900 shoes from the Shoe Source were sweet in 5th grade. And my mountain bikes were always in less than stellar shape thru high school. But by the grace of our wonderful banking system and the Joneses next door, I learned to take advantage of the nice things in life.

A few years back, a purchase was made that makes life wonderful at the shop. Many folks coveted our new possession and wanted to touch it. It was lent out several times and this investment satisfied well. One day, it was returned in less than stellar shape. The borrowers did not pass the word along, and even tried to repair it with Wal-Mart goods. Not acceptable. You gotta be quick to pull a fast one on me.

Although, I don't harbour any feelings, I learned a lesson. Some people don't view responsibility the way I was taught. I look up to a few people in life who don't believe in entitlement and are high quality examples of responsibility. What I mean to say, is they take care of their shit. I guess you could say their integrity is enough that I would even go into business with them. And you know what, business is funny. It does funny stuff to people. I guess the lure of money does the same thing that money does. It tweeks people out.

My good friend Rob from Dixieland is one of these dudes that is strait. I can say I don't have to watch my back with Rob, and I would lend him my firstborn (and the Tacoma). My grandpa Jo is on this list too. He is the one that passed it down I'm sure. Probably beat it into my dad. And, he gets the nod too. He would have beat it into me, but I never really got caught being irresponsible. I just got lucky. It's funny to see how things change, 3 years after being in business with my pops. I'm sure he would love to take a big stick to me some days, but he has mellowed out. Yah, he even tries to calm me down some days. Good luck with that one.

I say we appoint a Responsibility Czar. He could drive a Pinto and wear XJ-900's. That would be funny.

1 comment:

  1. I think everyday, am I teaching my three kids responsibility or not.

    ReplyDelete