Friday, September 25, 2009

The Best Stain in the World

18 months. It has been at least that long. I can't remember exactly when we started trying to figure this one out, it has been that long. This photo is missing at least 1 gallon, 3 or 4 quarts and twice as many samples than are here. No kidding. At $28 a pop for the quarts, $75 for each gallon, delivery fees, and weeks of staining, finishing, and staring at the samples and then chatting about tones, hues, shading, muddying, transparency, satin and matte over tea and cake, I think we might have a winner. It looks amazazing. Really.

A few years back, I was working at another shop which I won't mention cause we are in serious competition with them now (their shop is the best shop in the state and we are going for the 2nd best). I told Chris I needed a new blade to cut small trim on the table saw. A few hours later, he showed up with a brand new blade from a brand I didn't know. "Is this a good brand?" I asked. "Not sure, but it was the most expensive" he said. So, the more expensive it is, the better it is. Sure. That will make this stain the best in the world.

I learned something from Lorna and Leslie one day that I will never forget. They asked what hinges I was thinking of using for the office and I said whatever they wanted. They told me that was the right answer. For Leslie, that is the way to go. She knows what she wants, and there is a reason why. She knows her stuff.

Some days I wondered if it was worth it. I have never seen such attention go into one color. If this house doesn't get the blue ribbon, I'm not sure which one will.

No comments:

Post a Comment