Friday, May 15, 2009

How big is your mantle?

Wow, that's a big piece of wood! My brother who has worked in a shop for almost as long as me, was even fooled.

Leslie wanted something big, thick and chunky. Again. But to find a piece of quartered African Mahogany this big would have been nothing short of a trip to the Ivory Coast. And, with a piece that big, the ends would have checked (cracks in the end grain) after a few. There were several designs thrown out, just nothing that would fit the home, or look good enough for this house.

This right here is why I would rather work for these folks than try to compete with a production shop. But, you gotta be willing to do what the guy next door is not willing to do.

For example, Jon from Sabrosa. Started several years back crafting cycling frames out of his garage out of steel. With his bare hands. Brilliant artist. This guy grabs a file for hours on end and won't stop till it's perfect. My fingers hurt just thinking of it. The cycles he puts out are incredible. Unless your looking for a sweet industry name attached to tubes of some new fangled material, or the next sweetest thing, you won't find attention to detail like this. What does Sabrosa even mean. seriously.

Tad at Dutchman is another fine example. He has the market cornered on rustic cabinetry. I have seen this guy spend days looking for the perfect juniper trees to make a piece, and until a few years ago that I know, his was the only shop to have homes from Utah with his cabinetry featured in Architectural Digest. But no one in the Utah County scene even knows who Tad is.

I told my pops when I went into business with him that I wanted nothing to do with production. I would rather do something different than compete with junk. I'm not one to deal with the people who are more concerned about how much their cabinets cost than what they actually look like. Utah county is notorious for this; folks who will spend more time working out the price, and not give a thought to having wasted so much time maybe doing something else more productive. Like coming up with ways to make it look super neato.

When money is not an option, that's when it gets fun. If money is just burning a hole and you appreciate custom, the possibilities are endless. You know, like spending a couple of days making a few little pieces look like one big piece.

4 comments:

  1. fooled me. thanks for the plug. my fingers hurt just thinking about it too. Sabrosa means "too legit" in an ancient Slavic dialect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, not that big. And it's probably made out of particle board. I do live in the UC, after all. But seriously, when we moved to happy valley, we were hoping to find a small nice house in a nice area. Like where we moved from in SLC. I'm telling you that it doesn't exist. Or at least we never found it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron

    Im still holding out for that nice small house in a nice area. It's here somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mantle is 7. Yeah, its a size 7. Pretty darn big.

    ReplyDelete