Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Hollywood Tan, Fake Bake

After a few days of baking, we popped the vanity and parts out of the oven. Mmmm, crispy. The piece laying on top is virgin white oak, not yet exposed to the ammonia. The white fletching you can see on the lighter piece turns darker than the other grains during the fuming. It was interesting to note how the ammonia penetrated thru the layers of wood, drawn in more on the end grains than the flats or edges.

I stopped in to meet Ed Creer of Creer Sheet Metal at his home, where I saw the most fascinating antique hutch built of white oak that has been in the family for a while. I'm gonna steal it one day unless they give it to me. I was so impressed by the piece. Maybe someday that sweet end table in your moms house will be an impressive antique... Stranger things have happened.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous. Very strange to hear you get excited about oak. This stuff doesn't look anything like the oak from the early ninties. Hot. I dig the door faces.

    ReplyDelete